Sunday, March 17, 2013

Philadelphia, PA

March 16, 2013

I visited Philly a lot when I was a teenager. I had some friends I met on tour that lived out here, and in particular, a boy I was smitten with that went to Temple University. I remember being really bummed that I wouldn't get to experience the tradition of eating a Philly Cheese Steak, but ended up happier than ever with the vegan options available!!! Sure, I can't eat at Gino's or Pat's, but a cute little vegetarian restaurant at South and Broad St. called Govinda's, has the most amazing chikin cheesesteak, with what I think is a homemade soy cheeze and mayo. I prefer it in a wheat or spinach wrap, but they also offer it on a whole wheat hoagie as well. They have all kinds of salads, burgers, sandwiches, etc...but everyone I saw that came in, ordered either the chikin or pepper steak phillies. They do offer a dairy cheese, so be sure to specify vegan when you go there. The desserts there rule too. My favorite is the brownie chunk cake, but this time I got two caramel nutty brownies. YUMMMMY LIFE.

St. Patrick's Day, 2013

Another place that rules, is Blackbird Pizzeria, right down the street off South, and is an ALLLLL VEGAN pizza place with giant slices, hoagies, including a killer Tofu Cubano, and salads. They have seitan pepperoni, seitan sausage, and all kinds of veggie toppings, and of course DAIYA cheese. When my friends and I sat down at a really cool bar called Tattooed Mom, which also has a ton of veggie options (and free crafts!! I made bows, and potato heads!!!) we were disappointed with the high prices, so ordered mimosas, vegan bloody Mary's, and called in a couple pizzas from Blackbird. They're just a few blocks apart, and Tattooed Mom didn't mind us bringing in outside food since we were ordering a lot of drinks. The marinara was delicious, and the crust was just thick enough. I could eat that pizza every day if you'd let me. Another awesome thing about Philadelphia is that they have a couple different Whole Foods. One, being right down the street from where we were on South. I had never seen so many fresh juices bottled before, as well as cashew cinnamon milk, and almond coconut water. They had a bunch of cool faux meats in the deli, and tonight for dinner our lovely hosts, Mika and Jerry, are cooking General Tso's with a chikin from the deli, and tofu as well. It smells good........













No comments:

Post a Comment