Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mexico City Day 1

So, I'm in Mexico for the next five days for Obscene Extreme Fest playing with Phobia. There's a ton of killer bands on the bill, and I'm really excited to be here...but I'm hungry!! I brought a tofu taco, 2 gluten free almond coconut cookies, and three mini ziplocks filled with Earth Balance vegan cheddar popcorn in case of emergency. I brought clementines too, but had to eat them all on the plane because you can't bring fruit into the country. Luckily, my drummer Bryan Fajardo and I flew in together from San Antonio into Mexico City, otherwise this first day would have been even more of a mess. We arrived, pushed the little red button at customs that lights up either green (for you to just walk thru) or red ( for you to get hardcore searched!), both of ours was green...then proceeded to try and get a taxi to a hotel in which we had no idea where it was. My phone is way too expensive to use for phone calls and texts, so I downloaded an app called Viber, where if you have wifi you can text and call for free other people with that app. Paid $330 pesos for a cab, then realized none of the cab drivers knew where the hell our hotel was. Turns out, it was nearly 50 miles away from the airport and ended up costing over $1,000 pesos to get there!! We were not happy to discover this, and I was super annoyed that all the money Bryan and I had exchanged into pesos was already gone our first hour in the country. Anyways, the guy finally got us to the hotel, and it's beautiful. It's pretty much a little oasis in Toluca, MX. We found Shane at the bar, settled into our room and proceeded to have a few beers and order dinner. I am prepared for it to be difficult for me to eat with the language barrier and mass amounts of carne y queso here, but luckily the hotel employees are OVER THE TOP nice. I'm still confused about tipping here though, because every time I get a bill, the tip line is crossed out....anyways, I was able to order avocado in corn tortillas for only $25 pesos!! I had one of my cookies for dessert, then we slept for nearly 12 hours, only to wake up to a delicious breakfast buffet for $45 pesos this morning. I could only eat the fruit, but I am content with that. Here's some photos...supposedly we are going to the Pre-Fest show in the city tonight...I know there are some vegan restaurants there!!!













1 comment: