Sunday, March 17, 2013

Greenwich Village, Manhattan, NY

March 15, 2013

This weekend, I played Philadelphia Infest at Gunners Run in north Philadelphia. It was a great show, and a great excuse to eat yummy food. First, we flew into New York to meet up with the rest of my band....and eat....

Let me start by saying...There is way too much food for me to eat in New York. I am always so belly full in that city, that's it gets hard to walk and go up and down those damn subway stairs. This trip was my brother, Levi's, first time to the east coast, and I wanted to show him some of my very favorite NYC spots. So, the first place we went, after we got off the plane in La Guardia, was to Soy and Sake in Greenwich Village. My friend, Zeta, is a piercer at Whatever Tattoo, just a few blocks from there and she let us drop off my suitcase and guitar so we could wander the city hassle free for a while. I was excited that this ALLLLL VEGAN SUSHI restaurant had a lunch special, so we went all out. I had eaten dinner there once before, so I told Levi to order the craziest sushi roll he could imagine for us to split. This place has vegan eel, shrimp, tuna, etc. and it's insane. He was never a fish fan anyways, so he ordered the Village Roll, which was shrimp, fried banana, avocado, and spicy mayo. It was a work of art!!!! For our entrees, we got house salads with a citrus ginger dressing, green curry with fried silken tofu, and General Tso's Chikin. One thing I loved about the green curry was that it had whole basil leaves, a ton of vegetables, and was such a light and fresh flavor. It wasn't overly salty and dense, so it didn't make me fall into a food coma, and was served with brown rice. I don't usually eat fried tofu, since most Thai restaurants in San Antonio fry meat in the same oil, so it was a special occasion for me. It was particularly interesting because it was so crispy on the outside and straight up soft silken texture on the inside. I would like to try and recreate this on my own using the vegan fryer at Green sometime. Levi's General Tso's chikin was amazing. The thick sauce was sweet and the chikin balls were breaded, fried, and were super dense on the outside, yet flaky on the inside, almost like a puff pastry texture. The only thing I've had that was similar is the Protein 2000 at Veggie Heaven in Austin. All in all, we were very happy with our meal.





No comments:

Post a Comment