Wednesday, August 7, 2013

NYC: Dun Well Doughnuts, Foodswings, Vaute

The morning we left, Mia and I woke up early enough to cab it over to Dun Well Doughnuts on Montrose in Williamsburg.  It was one of our destination stops, and is an ALL VEGAN specialty doughnut store.  It has a 1920's retro, old school New York vibe, and sold all kinds of fresh doughnuts, lattes, coffee, and pre packaged desserts.  It was an added bonus that my vegan friend Mark that lives in Wisconsin was there eating too!!  Mia and I bought a few candy bars, a strawberry chocolate doughnut, a Boston creme doughnut, and iced mocha lattes.  The doughnuts were soft, warm, and heavenly.  They were devoured, but I got sugar high on them, and couldn't really enjoy my sweet latte.  I never get to order mocha lattes back home, because the chocolate always has dairy in it, but even though this one was delicious, I just couldn't handle the sweetness of it. I abandoned my latte, and we hoped in another cab to Foodswings for lunch.  

Foodswings is an amazing, vegan, punk rock, fast food joint off Grand in Williamsburg.  They are known for their realistic drumsticks, and funny named French fries, (The Punk Fries have bacon bits and cheese, the Disco Fries have gravy and cheese).  Mia and I both ordered single Buffalo Drumsticks, then I had the Gyro (as recommended by Calum), while she had the Italian Hero.  Mia couldn't decide if she liked the drumstick or not, because it really is a chewy, stringy, meaty texture, and is probably the closest thing to meat we've had in a long time.  With little skewers in the middle, you can eat it like a real drumstick, which I am usually really turned off by.  It was interesting to say the least, and even though I could barely eat my Gyro, we wrapped up our mass amounts of leftovers and finished them on the plane back home.  The tzatziki and sliced seitan on my gyro was amazing, and really imitated the Greek gyros I grew up eating at Demos. 
A few blocks from Foodswings, is Vaute, an all vegan clothing line, that has the cutest prints, soft tees, matching pup and owner bow ties, etc.  Mia and I bought a shirt that say "I can't even look at you in that fur," and we wanted lots more things!! (It's very expensive though...)


No comments:

Post a Comment