Monday, February 18, 2013

West Hollywood, CA

February 14,15, 2013
Traveling is hard sometimes. I hate being hungry, and it makes me very grumpy so I try to make sure I always have snacks on hand. Especially when I'm on tour and have no idea the next chance I'll get to hit up a Whole Foods or vegan restaurant. My bass player, Calum, has been vegan nearly 20 years, and he lives in Brooklyn...aka vegan heaven. Needless to say, he is a spoiled brat when it comes to food. He and I try to seek out the most affordable and innovative restaurants we can while traveling via the HappyCow app, or a quick vegan search on Yelp. 3 shows into this tour, I have only been hungry...like realllllly hungry....once.
I had Valentines day brunch with my best friends Sean and Julia and their baby Mick, at Hugo's in West Hollywood. It's a pricey place, but had great options for vegans and gluten free folks. They handmade all their own pasta in house, and I was ecstatic to have a fresh blended berry mimosa. We split red velvet pancakes infused with beets, strawberries, and walnuts. Then, I had the vegan Mac n cheese with peas, mushrooms, and crispy onions. It was delicious, and I was delighted that the cheese was actually a cashew and sunflower seed cream. Yum.
The next day, when I went to meet up with the rest of my band, we had a last minute transportation problem, and I had to rent a car. I grabbed one from Enterprise on Sunset Blvd, and hit up the Veggie Grill on my way to North Hollywood. Veggie Grill is an awesome chain with a ton of locations all over California and other states. They have burgers, salads, Mac n cheese, tons of gluten free options, buffalo wings, and strawberry lemonade. It is very much a fast food place, where you order at the corner and either sit down or wait for pick up. The food is delicious, but the interior is always so plasticky, and I'm not used to eating a chain places so its kind of a strange atmosphere. I ordered the buffalo chikin sandwich with a side salad. I will admit though, I was a bit bummed because there was cilantro in either the dressing or the corn salsa it's topped with, so I didn't fully enjoy my meal. I was so hungry though, that its all a blur, and after I ate I realized I had no idea where I had parked that damn rental car. I was going up and down the parking garage pushing the panic button while actually panicking to find it for atleast 20 minutes, before I hightailed it out of there and got stuck in typical Los Angeles traffic. Highway 101. Brutal. But at least I was belly full.












No comments:

Post a Comment